Saturday, August 22, 2009

Taipei, Taiwan: Day 7

Today we're going to the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, National Palace Museum and Miramar ferris wheel!

CKS Memorial Hall



National Theatre and National Concert Hall.



View of the gate and Mr CKS

The National Theatre and Concert Hall are kind of like the Esplanade in Singapore (except with a more historical-like building) where you can see lots of people outside practising dance or traditional arts like playing with tops, or other things like the performances you see on Taiwanese variety shows. (You know, the kind of Taiwanese talent shows where people perform and the guests give them points or money, kind of like America's Got Talent but with guaranteed money back.)

I really wanted to watch the Cloud Gate Dance Theatre in Taiwan, but they were out touring. :( Maybe next time! They were featured in Time and seem quite amazing. On our first night in Taiwan there was a Ryu Goto concert (he's a Japanese violinist) but I wouldn't have been able to make it anyway. :(

Anyway we didn't venture deep into the buildings, we only went inside the CKS building and watched the changing of the guards which was quite funny (to my juvenile sense of humour) but I will not write anything here which is disrespectful. (^^)v

We made our way to Shihlin station and felt hungry so we stopped by a little stall that sold gyoza and dumplings, every kind imaginable and priced by the piece!

Very affordable and yummy!!!!!! 5 pieces for a dollar! :O Tracy ordered curry gyoza and kimchi gyoza and there are many more flavours which is amazing.
I had Ding Tea from next door (grapefruit green tea again!) and they had Jam Hsiao printed on the cup. -_-U Oh well, he does sing really really well, but as you can see I'm not absolutely crazyyyy about him.
Next, we took a bus to the National Palace Museum which Tracy wanted to go to and is the largest museum in Asia!!! No photos allowed so you'll only see the exterior. Quite an amazing place, we saw the jade cabbage and jade meat... sounds really dumb but the jade cabbage is really pretty!!! I expected an ugly round cabbage but it's the long elegant type of cabbage and the artist made use of the gradations of green in the jade to make it look really realistic, and there was a bit of dark jade which he carved into a cicada resting on the cabbage which is like so cool. The tour guide (in English, phew) was really funny too.

The entrance and the building.



The garden which we stupidly paid money to go into. After we went out, we realised that they had opened the gate - only after we slotted money and went in. -_-U

Cute trashcan.









The National Palace Museum closes quite early at about 5pm. After that, we made our way to Miramar by taking a shuttle bus from Jiantan station.

But first, we had dinner at TGI Friday's. I just realised that they have TGIF in Korea too!



Food was not bad, but pricy by Taiwanese standards. There were TV screens showing sports, and we were totally in stitches over the men's artistic gymnastics floor exercise segment. Some guys are seriously OTT!!! Imagine grown men with huge muscles, grinning madly like wide-eyed cheerleaders, doing floor exercise. :O There were ok ones of course, those were the ones without the manic glint in their eyes. HAHA.

We made our way to the top of the building where the Miramar ferris wheel was. (It's the ferris wheel that's always featured in Taiwanese dramas! Not that I watch them much anyway, just a bit of random info I heard. And yes, I realised they do keep filming it as a meeting place in Taiwanese dramas!)

TW said it was the worst 30 minutes of her life up there (cos the ferris wheel is on top of a building which makes it scarier if you're afraid of heights). Actually it was only about 20 minutes. You get a choice of regular or transparent cabins (with transparent floor) but there are only 2 transparent ones so the wait is longer.



Tracy and I were totally scoffing at TW but then halfway up we realised... it was indeed quite scary!!! :O Hahaha!!! Thank God we didn't choose the transparent cabins.
Oh here's a photo of the nicely-packaged pineapple shortcakes I got from Kuo Yuan Ye (near Shihlin station), they have a lovely building which looks quite out-of-place among the other older, shabby buildings. It's a 'cookie museum' apparently, and the store manager dresses very nicely and everything. I'm sorry I only bought one box because I had no luggage space left. :(

Ok one more day to go!!!

I'm quite happy today cos I don't have work in the morning and later my sis is driving me to work, and after work I'm going to my friend's 21st which I hope will be fun!!! :D That means of course I will be missing this year's Natsu Matsuri tonight. :( Oh wells!!!

Ciao ciao!

1 comment:

Kalmo said...

Wow you're so pretty! Thank you for sharing all these wonderful travel pictures of Taiwan. My best friend goes back there a lot and she always brings me back those pineapple cakes. :)

P.S.
I'm following your blog too. ^^ So please expect more comments from me in the future.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails