Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review + Swatches: Kevin Beautymaker Aqua Eye Concealer and Color Correcting Eyelid Primer

These were recommended to me by my friend during my internship last year, then I went to google and realised Fuzkittie liked Beautymaker stuff as well, so last year when I went to Taiwan, I ordered a whole bunch including these from the Payeasy website! It's pretty easy for foreigners to order from Payeasy, you can order like a couple of days before you reach Taiwan. You'll need to sign up for an account, and choose to pay by cash and collection at a convenience store (by choosing the store location on a map). Basically you need some understanding of Chinese and pretty good map-reading skills. :P


The packaging is quite pretty, I find the box similar to MAC's style. The price is really affordable, they always have promotions on Payeasy. I would consider Kevin Beautymaker to be in the same category as drugstore brands, though they're slightly marked up on websites like Imomoko.


From left: Kevin Beautymaker Color Correcting Eyelid Primer, Kevin Beautymaker Aqua Eye Concealer in #1 Bright and #2 Natural

The packaging is really above average - there's a magnetic closure, and the mirror is really convenient!

Basically the tagline for these products is - 'First brighten, then conceal!' So you're supposed to use the eyelid brightener first followed by the concealer. I guess the concept of the eyelid primer is kind of like Benefit's Lemonaid.



Swatches: Kevin Beautymaker Color Correcting Eyelid Primer, Kevin Beautymaker Aqua Eye Concealer in #1 Bright and #2 Natural

The colour of the concealer in the pan looks scary and dark, but once swatched, they're actually quite light. The best thing about these would be the aqua texture - really light, watery and blendable! I find the concealers to have a peachy tone though, and may not be very suitable for Asian complexions, cos I find yellow works better. And I guess that's where the pale yellow primer helps!


The Naked Eye

With eyelid primer (under the eyes as well)

With eyelid primer and concealer #2

The effect of the concealer is quite natural and doesn't cake or crease. The primer, on the other hand, creases like crazy on my eyelids from the moment I put it on. So I wouldn't call it a primer exactly, it's more of an eyelid brightener, and works quite well over UDPP. It's pretty chalky as you can tell from the swatch, but if you blend well it really makes you look wide awake.

Rating: 7/10 for both

Pros: Great texture, no caking, affordable with great packaging
Cons: Non-lasting primer, poor colour selection with peach tones


--------

Anyway, one weird thing I notice with my general use of concealers is that when I use concealer, I look a lot more Chinese! When I don't use concealer, with the dark shadows around my eyes, I find my eyes look rounder and according to my friend, 'deep-set' and dimensional, but with concealer alone, while I do look more awake, I also look more chinky cos it sort of flattens my undereye area, and makes my eyes look more narrow and slanted and... small. Does anyone else experience this?! I'm really curious!

4 comments:

二コラ said...

ive tried some beautymaker skincare before, pretty good but never the makeup. the concealer looks good on you :)

Tomjay said...

Hi,

I am Tom Jay and i would like to know if you are interested to
earn advertising money by serving mobile advertisement on your web site.

Mobgold is one of the largest mobile ad networks which have been working
with social network sites, content portals, iphone Apps developers or mobile
operators to help them increase their revenue by serving mobile
advertisement on their wap site, Apps or mobile internet channels in a very
rewarding way.

If you are interested, you can sign up free at
http://affiliate.mobgold.com/ac/012d0096k48bg7

or you can log in
http://www.yourmobilead.com
for more information.

Regards,

Tomjay

Kalmo said...

Great review! The Kevin Beauty maker concealer looks so natural and great on you. It creased like crazy on me and it wasn't pigmented enough but I have panda eyes. XD I agree that they are very light and watery, I like the packaging too. I should have gotten the eyelid primer too, looks nice. My friend used Payeasy to order the concealers for me and then brought them back to the U.S. ^^

Yumeko said...

i havent tried anything from beautymaker but it seems really good on u

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails