Sunday, July 10, 2011

Review: Burt's Bees Beeswax Lipbalm

These are my favourite lipbalms of the moment. Both the tin and tube cost USD$3 each, but the tube contains 4.25g while the tin contains 8.5g. They cost a lot more than this when shipped to Singapore or purchased from brick and mortar shops here, but I love these so much I believe I'd repurchase readily!

The ingredients differ slightly (taken from Burtsbees.com). As far as I can see, the tube contains sunflower seed oil while the tin contains sweet almond oil, and that's the only difference.

Tube: cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), limonene
Tin: cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), limonene


Honestly I can't tell the difference in formula between the tube and the tin. I would have expected the formula for the tin to be more creamy as you'll be using your fingers for application, but no - it feels totally solid, just like the lipbalm in the tube, which makes it difficult to get enough product out using my fingers. I find I have to keep swiping at the lipbalm in the tin to get enough product. However, the product itself (both tin and tube) is really awesome - there's enough natural tasting mintiness and moisturization and I can really feel it healing my lips when they're dry and chapped. The thing I love most is how everything is natural and tastes natural - I don't have to worry about ingesting weird chemicals. For me, Burt's Bees works a lot better than Carmex - the mintiness is not overwhelming unlike Carmex which can sting a little, and it also heals cracked lips faster than Carmex.

If you're deciding between tin or tube, well, the tin looks prettier and contains more product for the price, but it's kind of unhygienic to use your fingers and application is time-consuming. Plus if you bring it around, the tin will get banged up. For me, I'd prefer the tube for the ease of application even though it contains only half the amount of product for the price, also because I'm a hygiene freak and it's troublesome ensuring my fingers are clean before using the tin version. What I do right now is that I carry the tube with me all the time, while I keep the tin at home to use before bedtime, so the tin remains quite pristine.

Rating: 10/10

You know, lipbalms are the kind of cheap thing that you'll keep buying a lot of, from different brands, just because they're cheap and there's so much variety! But I can see that Burt's Bees will be something I'll go back to over and over again, and always keep a back-up tube of. Sometimes I find it annoying when I find a HG (holy grail) item like that though, because I feel like I won't be able to try other products. Is that weird? :P

2 comments:

Kalmo said...

Thanks for the review! Too bad it's more expensive there. I have repurchased Burt's Bees a few times! I like them a lot but I can't say they are my favorite but my lips are super dry. I agree that lip balms are cheap so the price makes me want to buy a lot and test them out. LOL However, it usually means I'm carrying around a bunch of unfinished lip balms. XD

No, I totally get on your finding the HG. Even when I find a product I truly like, I still want to try other things in that category. Must be a blogger thing. :)

I just ordered the Jack Black lip balm Fuzkittie and others have been raving about, hope it turns out good.

Pauline Reyes said...

Great review! What other flavors of Burt’s Bees balms have you tried?
xo,
~Pauline @Kallony

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails