Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review: Neutrogena Hydroboost Water Gel and Hydroboost Essence

My favourite kind of moisturizer contains hyaluronic acid and is gel-like in texture. So when I spotted the Neutrogena Hydroboost range at the drugstore, I had to try it. Usually hyaluronic gel moisturizers are made by Japanese brands, but this one is by Neutrogena! So I was really curious to see how it turns out. I'd previously tried and reviewed the Neutrogena Hydroboost Mousse Cleanser so I got the water gel and serum next. They contain olive extract and hyaluronic acid with a 'progressive release system' which progressively releases moisture throughout the day, which sounded so attractive because I work long hours in air-conditioned dryness and getting my moisturizer to last is a big priority!
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
This comes in a delicious, thick gel-cream texture which feels hydrating on the skin, and smooth when gliding on (thanks to the dimethicone and other -cones in the formula which may not be universally appreciated). It sinks into skin very easily and I think this is meant to be used after the essence. However, it performs very well on its own too. It really works well to not only hydrate but deeply moisturize skin and yes, the progressive release system does work! At the end of the day, when I remove my make-up at 11pm (after about 16 hours since putting it on?), my skin doesn't feel dry or flaky, but smooth to the touch.
The scent is a lovely fresh, light and clean scent which is the same throughout the Hydroboost line. The slightly siliconey texture of the gel might feel slightly heavy at first if you have oily skin, but the trick is to use just enough of it! I always apply moisturizer in thin layers - if it sinks right in and my skin feels like it needs more, then apply a second layer. If you apply a thick layer at one go... that's just wrong and your skin will feel it.

Here's the ingredients list:
If I had to choose one item to purchase from the Hydroboost line, this would be the one. Also, it's pretty affordable - I purchased this 50g jar for S$14.90 at a Beaute Spring store (which sells products from Garnier, Neutrogena, Olay etc at cheaper prices than Watson's or Guardian drugstores, and guess what, the manufacturing dates are all recent).

The only thing I'm annoyed about is the jar packaging - not too sanitary! I don't understand why they don't sell the full-size in a tube instead because the gel-cream texture would totally work in a tube. In fact, I was introduced to this product by a sample I received, which was in a tiny tube. So it works! Please make this in tube form!

Overall - fantastic and affordable moisturizer for all skin types. Oily-yet-dehydrated skin will love this because it keeps the water-oil balance of your skin in check, and dry skins will benefit from using this over the essence. The progressive-release moisture system totally impresses me.

Rating: 10/10 (even if it's in a jar!)
Neutrogena Hydroboost Essence
I think this essence is meant to be used under the the water gel. I remember it cost me about S$12.90 for 30ml. The bottle looks huge but it really only contains 30ml, so the bulky packaging really wastes space.  
So basically the essence is a milky lotion which also feels a little siliconey with a lot of glide. Because of the silicone, it also feels slightly heavy for an essence. It feels nothing as light as my other hyaluronic acid serums such as Juju Aquamoist or Skincology Advanced Hydrating Serum. I would think that people with oily skin might be able to get away with using this on its own as a light moisturizer. However, for me, if I had to choose between the water gel and this, I would opt for the water gel as it hydrates much better. For me, the essence mainly aids in extending the moisturizing capabilities of the water gel.

Ingredients:
Don't write this off as an unnecessary complementary product - it really helps increase the moisture level when used in conjunction with the water gel, my skin feels much softer and smoother when I use them both together as opposed to the water gel alone. While people with oily skin might find it heavy to layer 2 products together, it is good for extra moisture after you've exfoliated, when you're experiencing abnormal flakiness, or for night use in an air-conditioned room.

Rating: 9/10
--------
Here's some photos from last weekend-
Photo at TWG tea with a friend, pardon the cheesy caption which she added with some iPhone app.
Scones and caneles - really lovely!

The black macaroons are caramel - nicer than the hot pink ones which have a tart blackcurrant filling.
I went for my company's dinner and dance, the theme was Back to School and I wore fishnets and Vans. I didn't spend money on a single thing - everything was already in my closet, and I wore my junior college tie. (I don't believe in spending money on things I only use for a night... though my friends would probably mention how I take less than a second to fork out $100+ for a bottle of SKII, lol)
We stayed at the Resorts World Sentosa's Festive Hotel... each room has a king-sized bed, a loft bed and a sofa bed which makes it good for families and cheapskates like us. I really liked the toiletries (shampoo and shower gel) in the bathroom, they smell really good like they're full of fragrant essential oils. Love it! Oh and can you see that I'm wearing the bedroom slippers which are neon orange... so weird! Why can't they stick to plain white. I felt like I couldn't sleep after looking at my neon slippers, they were so blinding.
I liked the orchid mural.
At work, my peak period is starting... I can't believe I have survived a year. I hope I can keep it up! I booked a bunch of massages and facials for the Nov/Dec season to relax and prepare for the Christmas season! ^_^ Christmas decorations are already up at the shopping malls and it's feeling festive. The crowds are annoying though! Has anyone gotten Christmas shopping done yet? :)

1 comment:

Nic Nic said...

I've hear a lot about this Neutrogena moisturizing range! I ish it was available in Japan...

You look great! And I love the food pics.. anything sweet is good in my books haha

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails