Sunday, February 19, 2012

Review: My Beauty Diary mask - Strawberry Yogurt, Bulgarian White Rose and Cooling

For the past month when I'd been working overtime, I felt so tired that after showering and blowdrying my hair at 3am, I just didn't feel like putting on all my multiple layers of skincare. During that period, I just put on my eye cream and slapped on a sheet mask and went to bed. Here are some reviews of the 3 flavours I tried from My Beauty Diary during my darkest nights (excuse the drama)-
Bulgarian White Rose
This mask smells like sweet rose syrup (or bandung in local terms)! The mask liquid feels very light, almost like a toner. This mask is supposed to sooth, refresh and moisturize (with rose hydrosol), whiten skin (with licorice and kiwi extract) and calm skin down (with cucumber and aloe extracts). I like this mask a lot, it makes my pores look much smaller and the lightness of the liquid makes it easily absorbed by oily skin. The sweet rose syrup scent might be too strong for some people though. I do notice some slight brightening effects and pore-tightening effects with this mask, and it really helps calm my skin down (I think it's the rosewater).

Ingredients:
Purified water, 1,3-Butylene glycol, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbedensis Gel, Glycyrrhizinate Glabra (Licorice) Leaf Extract, Triethanolamine, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Vegetal Collagen, Algae Extract, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Ananas Sativas (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Dimethylsilanol Hyaluronate, Polysorbate 20, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citric Acid, Methyl Paraben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Perfume

Rating: 9/10

Strawberry Yogurt Mask
This mask smells really delicious, like Dutch Lady strawberry milk! It feels really moisturizing - more moisturizing than the Bulgarian White Rose, and the liquid feels slightly 'thicker' too, almost like a serum. It's supposed to brighten your skintone and tighten pores, leaving zero shine. And it's supposed to be limited edition. (Bummer!!) I really hope they bring this mask back, because strawberry yogurt is one of my favourites.

It moisturizes surprisingly well (better than the regular Yogurt flavour), smells delicious, and makes my pores almost disappear! (Pore-tightening effect is the best out of all Beauty Diary masks!) And while it's really moisturizing, it leaves my skin feeling fresh and free of greasiness. I really love this.

Ingredients:
Purified water, Glycerin, 1,3-Butylene glycol, Propylene Glycol, Triethanolamine, Fragaria vesca (Wild Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Tween 20, Yogurt Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Algae Extract,  Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi (Bearberry) Leaf Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugarcane) Extract, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Citrus Anrantium Dulcis (Sweet Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry) Fruit Extract, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Dimethylsilanol Hyaluronate, Propyl Paraben, Methyl Paraben, Carbomer, Polyglutamic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Perfume

Rating: 10/10 (Bring it back, please!!!)
Cooling Mask 
This mask is supposed to be a wake-me-up for all skin types, I suppose for when you're feeling really tired/sluggish with dull skin. It feels and smells minty, and I was afraid it would be too cold and tingly to use in my air-conditioned room, or that the mint would irritate my skin. But no! It was surprisingly gentle on my skin and the cooling effect was very pleasant and refreshing. My eyes do feel a tiny bit of sting from the menthol, but it's not very strong. Of course, if you have extremely/exceptionally sensitive skin, it's best to avoid this mask. It's very soothing and hydrating and lovely for perking up on tired days.

Rating: 9/10

Ingredients:
Purified water, Glycerin, 1,3-Butylene glycol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Glycyrrhizinate Glabra (Licorice) Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinals Flower Extract, Sambucus Nigra (Elderberry) Flower Extract, Seed Weed Extract, Gingko Biloba Extract, Soluble Collagen, Algae-Yeast Complex, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Citric Acid, Ppolysorbate 20, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Extract, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Dimethylsilanol Hyaluronate, Methyl Paraben, Laminaria Ochroleuca, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Lecithin, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Alcohol, Methyl Lactate, Menthol, Perfume
--------
And here is just a little advice for anyone who's thinking of purchasing My Beauty Diary Masks online... Please be wary of fakes, especially from Taobao.com! I purchase mine directly through Cosmed stores in Taiwan so I am very sure mine are authentic. My younger sister once purchased a box from a flea market in Singapore and when my elder sister used one, she experienced itchiness. The differences are subtle and difficult to pick up if you aren't sharp... The most obvious would be the expiry date printed at the back. The authentic ones are printed lightly in black with light physical indentation to the foil packaging, while the fakes are printed heavily in black ink (which is usually smudged) and there are usually heavy physical indentations. Plus I noticed the fakes feel heavier than the authentic masks in their packaging, and the fake packaging looks shinier and more 'wrinkly' (Less air in the packet? Lousy sealing technique?) than the authentic ones.

My advice to Singaporeans: Just purchase through Guardian pharmacies! Even though you're paying a little bit more, you can be assured that the product is genuine! Skin allergies are no joke.

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Have you tried the Black Pearl version, very nice too.

Foxy Frangipani said...

Hello,
I've just tried the Strawberry Yoghurt mask too, and I agree it smells yummy! So sweet.

I also like how it made my skin look plumped :)

My my, you certainly work very long hours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails