Monday, May 6, 2013

Review: Dr Wu Acnecur

Dr Wu Clinical Skincare comes from Taiwan. "Clinical" makes it sound really good for the skin, and the packaging looked quite classy and... clinical... so when there was a 20% discount on the Acnecur range, I grabbed these! Acnecur Oil Control Lotion with 5α-avocute and Acnecur Pore Refining Lotion with Evermat. They're supposed to work better if you use them together. They're pretty pricey. (I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure each cost $40 or thereabout.)
Acnecur Pore Refining Lotion with Evermat (30ml)
This is a typical clear serum that goes on like other hyaluronic acid serums, except with a slightly less slimey feel. It's supposed to refine pore size, smooth skin and heal acne. 

Ingredients (per Dr Wu website): EvermatTM , P-Refinyl® , Oceagen®, DL-Mandelic Acid , Sodium Hyaluronate

Does it work? Well, it does smoothen my skin somewhat, but it doesn't help too much in unblocking pores. (I still prefer B.Liv Off With Those Heads Sebum Gel for unblocking pores.) By unblocking pores, I mean softening whiteheads/blackheads such that they dislodge easily when I do a facial scrub or deep-cleansing mask. The good thing is that it helps keep the moisture in my skin while treating it (due to the hyaluronic acid), and it doesn't irritate my skin. I feel it's overpriced though!

Rating: 8/10
Acnecur Pore Refining Lotion with Evermat (50ml)
This is a slightly tacky, creamy lotion that feels like a more fluid version of Eucerin Dermopurifyer Creme-gel.  The texture for Dr Wu is a lot more spreadable and feels lighter than Eucerin, which is a plus. It helps control oil pretty well, but I avoid using this when I'm at work and always in air-conditioned areas, because it's not moisturizing enough on its own. I usually use it on weekends, when I'm outside and it's hot and humid. This moisturizer would not fare well in dry winters! 

Ingredients: 5α-Avocute® , Sebaryl® , DL-Mandelic Acid, TotarolTM , Sodium Hyaluronate

Overall, a nice, basic moisturizer for oily skin, but overpriced. 

Rating: 8/10
--------
Ok, one thing that I wanted to rant about was that I thought the company wasn't being very transparent about the ingredients. What the hell is Evermat (with a TM, no less)? What is P-Refinyl? What is Oceagen? Surely the ingredients can be broken down, or are they patented trade secrets, like that fabled secret ingredient in Coke that nobody knows about and is kept under lock and key?

So I went to google the ingredients and actually got results! Apparently, P-refinyl is extracted from lentils and its oligosaccharide content stimulates the process of keratinocyte maturation, eliminating nucleated cells from around the pores. From gmzinc.com, I found a data sheet on Oceagen, which apparently a marine collagen that helps to moisturize skin. From Sederma.com, I realised that Evermat is used to reduce sebum flow. I still don't know what the actual ingredients are though, and that annoys me. Anyone feel the same?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails