Sunday, October 25, 2015

Thayer's Alcohol-Free Toners - Lavender, Cucumber, Rose and Unscented

 
I've previously reviewed Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel here. I realised they have a few other types of alcohol-free toners as well, so I decided to get them all and try! I actually tried these over the past year and bought another few bottles to last me till next year, so you can see how loyal I am to Thayer's. 

The base ingredients of all the toners are the same (this is the ingredient list for Unscented):
Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Certified Organic Filet Of Aloe Vera), Glycerin (Vegetable), Hamamelis Virginiana (made from Certified Organic Witch Hazel) Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract

The only difference and additional ingredient for all the other scented toners are as follows:
Rose Petal: Rose Flower Water
Lavender: Lavender Flower Water
Cucumber: Cucumber Fruit Extract

Rose and lavender flower waters are supposed to be good for hydrating skin, while cucumber extract helps to soothe skin. I'm quite a fan of Paula's Choice Beautypedia, but she's not a fan of witch hazel or flower waters unfortunately - she claims they may potentially irritate the skin (due to tannins in witch hazel, and strong fragrance from flowers). 
I will continue using Thayer's witch hazel because it has been great to my skin, but I have to agree - I don't think the rose and lavender versions made any particular difference to my skin, they were just very strongly scented. For the Rose Petal version, I didn't like the scent at first, but I got used to it after a while and now it doesn't bother me at all. The Lavender version, on the other hand, evokes Old Lady to me. I love lavender in general, but this one just doesn't smell good! My favourite would be Cucumber - it smells fresh and light, plus Beautypedia gave cucumber fruit extract a "good" rating. Unscented was ok - no scent, but it feels nothing special, like I applied water to my face... I guess I like scents? ^_^; 

So my conclusion was - out of all the different versions, I prefer the Cucumber one! But seriously - they're really not that different. If a particular scent floats your boat, by all means get it!

Rating: Love it!

(By the way, I know Thayer's makes astringent toners that contain alcohol, plus a lemon astringent toner... but I'm not interested in trying them at all, because alcohol = drying to me, and I tend to avoid citrus ingredients as they sensitize my skin. I would highly recommend sticking to the alcohol-free versions.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails